This arrangement, with the Masters house at the front of the property and workshops and only one kiln at the back was typical of the more modest manufacturing concerns in The Potteries at this date. Sheridan seems to have erected extra kilns and workshops for his tenants, completing a form of courtyard development which is clearly visible in a plan of 1840. A pottery factory first opened on the site in 1787. It was run by the Shelley family who produced earthenware and decorated plates and dishes produced by Josiah Wedgwood in Etruria.
By 1876 the Wards site had passed into the hands of R Hobson and Co and had been renamed Gladstone, after the politician William Ewart Gladstone. The factory opened as a museum in 1974, the buildings having been saved from demolition in 1970 when the pottery closed (some ten years after its bottle ovens were last fired). In the 1990s ownership passed to Stoke-on-Trent City Council. The museum has shown its commitment to industrial heritage by functioning as a working pottery. However, production has had to be curtailed for financial reasons and the museum is therefore less of a "living" museum than it was.
 As at 2014 the Middleport Pottery in Burslem, which is used for commercial production, is arguably the only working Victorian pottery in the city of Stoke-on-Trent. The item "Vintage 18 Piece Sheridan English Bone China Tea Set In Exellent Condition" is in sale since Thursday, August 30, 2018. This item is in the category "Pottery & Glass\Cookware, Dinnerware & Serveware\Cup & Saucers".
The seller is "santoor-uk" and is located in Ladywell (Near Eccles), Greater Manchester. This item can be shipped worldwide.